Belize > Guatemala, Western Highway

Belize > Guatemala

Note: Boring blog entry .... something to do while on the bus.

Leaving Belize City I catch a bus that will take me to the border at Benque Viejo, in the Cayo District, and then on to Flores (Guatemala).  The border crossing area is very 'rural', with no presence of high scale military - on the Belize side.  After paying my departure tax at Belize immigration, which is BZ$37.50 or US$19.00 (making sure to get a receipt), it's a walk of about 80 metres of 'no mans land' to the Guatemalan immigration.  I've done this a number of times in 'less developed' regions, and it's always a weird feeling.  I think, what if I can't get through immigration and I'm suck in this area ...... Will I be forced to become one of these money exchange shysters who are the only people that seem to populate this area?  Anyway, I make my way to the imagination building which is set to the side and could be easily missed.  Again quite a 'rural' feel, I go through processing and pay my 20 Quetzal.  I'm told that it's possible to walk passed immigration and into Guatemala without obtaining a stamp in the passport, however, in leaving the country comes a US$100 fine.  The first thing I notice on the Guatemalan side of the border is the reasonably high presence of police and military - heavily armed.  I 
make my way to the river, back to the bus.
Traveling toward Flores I do notice some armed military checkpoints, not for bus transport I guess as we drive passed without stopping.

Border crossing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cholula, Mexico

Mitla, Mexico